Monday, December 10, 2012

In-love with 1800's

Why is it that everything in the 1800's seems like pure loveliness? The elegant clothing and fashions, the ornate decor, the beautiful way that people used to form their sentences, the formal gatherings and balls, the not so formal afternoon teas and luncheons, the carriages, the courtships, the beautifully kept estates, the fortnights visits to friends and family....ahh the list could go on and on. Of course I have only seen these dreamy things portrayed in movies and can't help but wish that I could take a time-machine back to those times. And then I think about all the things that I would miss from my wonderful life today such as running water. I am way too particular about the temperature of my shower and the water I drink. Lets not forget women's rights either...it seems a tad bit unfair that once a man died all his property went to the first born son, not even his own wife! What about his adoring daughters?? What are they supposed to do with no means or profession?! I've watched Sense and Sensibility too much... There are a bajillion other ways of life and technologies that I could not go without now that I've experienced having them, but I still wonder what it would be like to live with all of those lovely things. I would probably take them for granted as I do the things I live with now. And since I will never know, I will just have to get my fill by watching and reading all the Jane Austen works and related media, and keep on dreaming about the good ol' days.

No comments:

Post a Comment